Are we living in The Matrix?
Prof Howard Wiseman, Centre for Quantum Dynamics, Griffith University
In the movie “The Matrix”, the human population lives not in the real world but inside a computer simulation called the Matrix. They are blissfully unable to detect their predicament, except for the fact that certain people can transcend the normal rules of physics.
This month, Prof Howard Wiseman will explain how this is eerily similar to the world we live in. Certain people (quantum physicists) can transcend the normal rules by doing things that “should be” impossible. While not as visually impressive as dodging bullets and leaping tall buildings, these abilities are central to the emerging field of quantum information technology. But even quantum physicists do not agree about what this reveals about the nature of the Matrix.
- Time: 6:30pm to 7:30pm, Monday the 24th of October
- Venue: Long Room, Customs House at Riverside
- Arrangements: Doors open at 6pm. No need to book – just show up!
- Refreshments: There will be complimentary drinks and nibblies following the talk, where Prof. Howard Wiseman will be available to answer any questions
- Questions? For any further information please contact Andrew